Friday, May 15, 2015

Thing 29: Student Response Tools

I have to say that I am amazed that we are only given 10 hours of PD credit for completing all 10 assignments, because I have yet to undertake one that took under 2-3 hours!!  But credit or no credit, it is invaluable to be given the opportunity to explore these really wonderful web tools that in most cases I otherwise would probably never know about!

I explored FlipGrid, Padlet, Primary Wall, Today's Meet, SeeSaw, Answer Garden, and Google Forms.  I played in each that had a cool tools account, or just browsed the examples when they did not.  That said, I have to admit that I was most impressed with Google Forms.  I really should spend more time exploring Google in general, because every time I turn around, I am delighted with what I can do with it!

I've already put Google Forms to use to generate a custom library survey for my faculty to be administered before the end of the school year.  I have recently formed a Library Advisory Committee to help steer the Library in the direction it needs to be going, and more importantly, to help me build communication and visibility for our library program and services (Thing 26 really has me thinking.....).  That said, we decided from day one that we need to survey everyone - faculty, students, administrators, parents - to determine current perceptions (and misconceptions) and to guide us in our goal setting.  We each came to the table at our last committee meeting with sample surveys we could use or tweak, but having discovered how easy it is to generate and share a Google Forms survey which tabulates results automatically, I'm totally converted!  I'd already been using Google Docs to share my policies and other materials that I want committee feeedback on, and now I'm finding Google Forms is just as wonderful!  Yay, Google - even if it is an evil empire :-)

Let me just spend a moment talking about my experience with some of the other tools, though.  FlipGrid was interesting to look at, but I'd have to see if our school tablets and laptops have video capability before I could entertain using it in any meaningful way.  Primary Wall didn't work (I see you updated that in the assignment). Today's Meet seemed easy to use and I really liked that it required no log in for the students/participants.  See Saw was interesting, but maybe a bit more involved than I want to be right now.  I only have PCs in the library.  All the laptops and tablets are in the classrooms.  Finally, I didn't see much point to Answer Garden, although I entered a response (Inquiry Driven Questions). 

I can't believe we have only one more assignment to go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment